You may have read my post that began, “I went and did something crazy.”
I keep starting and stopping this websie.
My old space here was a jumble of blog and list of services (social media, website design) but it lacked cohesiveness. Then, in March 2015, I was “currently working on the next iteration.”
Then I was enrolled in Marie Forleo’s B-School with 2 business objectives, which I’ll leave here:
1. Resurrect my social media/web coaching/writing business – that’s this site – with a limited number of clients. Watch for social media workshops in mid-2015.
2. Launch a new website and newsletter that will connect people will online health and wellness events.
#2 happened. I forgot about #1. B-School didn’t really work out for me. It works out for many and maybe if I apply myself and try again it will work out for me too. I do think it’s a great program, one that I need to keep referencing until I “get it”.
This is a modified version of the story I tell in my LinkedIn profile:
In middle school, a teacher gave me the highest mark in the class on an assignment and advised me to become a writer. I loved to read and write.
I graduated university with an honours degree in Mass Communications and no absolute plan. Multiple interests and community theatre involvement took me to the field of Arts Administration. After a few years working for nonprofit arts organizations it was time to move on.
I went to government communications.
I’ve been “social networking” and engaged in ”social media” since before those terms existed, “blogging” since before the term was mainstream. Facebook didn’t exist yet. Before MySpace there was “Six Degrees”. I have several years of experience with social media initiatives using an assortment of social media platforms, learning new ones as they arise, and have gotten skilled at condensing key messages to 140 characters.
When Kevin Smith first launched his online radio network I wrote an ad for him to read on air. Hearing him say words that I wrote has been one of the highlights of my life.My tweets have been retweeted and “favourited” by some of the famous people I admire a lot- or by their social media crew. Either way, it made me feel good.
I’ve been designing websites for 10+ years with search engine optimization (SEO), and social media integration, writing copy and integrating into communications plans.
I excel at connecting people, crave new challenges with a determination to overcome them.
In late 2012 I formulated a career mission statement: “I want to help businesses achieve their goals through marketing and community management. I want to be of service to them and their clients/customers and help make cool shit happen.” Being “of service” and helping make cool stuff happen are my two priorities for job satisfaction.
For several years my mission statement as a blogger has been “Writes to Educate”. This means that my intention isn’t, “Hey, look at me!” but “What can I teach you today?” and “How can I help you?”
Work with me
Do you need any of the following as one-off or short term? Andrea is an expert in many different digital marketing areas*:
- Help setting up social media accounts
- Help deciding which social media platforms will be more effective for your business
- Advice on third party social media tools (programs & apps that post to social media platforms)
- WordPress tutorial
- Blogging advice
- Newsletter advice & editing
- Editing help
- Virtual Assistant (aka “VA”) work.
Looking for a longer-term relationship?
- I’ll accept a limited number of social media clients in a “Community Manager” Capacity. That means that if I’m creating social media messaging, there’s only so many clients I feel that I can handle at a time without the quality of my work suffering.
- If you have a regular newsletter that you want me to edit each time, we can discuss that.
Got any other ideas or needs? Ask and I’ll see if I can help. If I can’t help I can either learn it or recommend someone else who can help you.
*And doesn’t usually refer to herself in the third person.